Help for Jaw and Headache Pain in San Antonio, TX
If you place your fingers underneath both ears and then open your mouth wide, you should be able to feel something pressing against the skin there as you do so. These are the temporomandibular (TMJ) joints, and they’re responsible for attaching your lower jaw to your skull, facilitating crucial actions like eating and speaking. However, this important responsibility means that the smallest dysfunction can throw the entire system off-balance, resulting in severe discomfort. Thankfully, Dr. Joseph Noble can diagnose and treat TMJ problems here in San Antonio, restoring much-needed harmony to your smile and your life. Contact us today to schedule your first appointment!
Do I have TMJ disorder?
Common symptoms of TMJ disorder include the following:
- Chronic pain in the jaw, face, shoulders, neck, and other nearby areas
- Regular headaches/migraines
- Discomfort that feels like a constant earache
- Jaw joints that consistently lock and pop
- Any difficulty or pain experienced while chewing
How do you treat TMJ disorder?
Please let Dr. Noble know right away if you’re experiencing any of the above symptoms. He can closely inspect your jaw joints during a comprehensive checkup and determine whether TMJ disorder might be a possibility. If so, effective treatments are available, including the following:
- Occlusal (restorative) adjustments can help if a misaligned or improper bite is the source of TMJ dysfunction. Dr. Noble may alter certain teeth with dental crowns, fillings, or other procedures in order to alleviate undue pressure and discomfort.
- Occlusal splints/appliances are able to guard teeth from bruxism (teeth grinding), which is a common source of TMJ pain. They can also help your jaw rest in a more proper position and even create long-term improvements for your resting bite and facial muscles.